Open source, zero-config, dependency-free, web-based
Database schema change
and version control
Bytebase offers a web-based collaboration workspace to help DBAs and Developers manage the lifecycle of application database schemas.
Safer and faster database migration
Industry first cloud-native database CI/CD solution
Classic workflow where developer submits a SQL review ticket for DBA to review.
Integrate with VCS hosting the migration scripts. Migration pipeline is triggered on observing new script push event.
Support multi-stage, multi-environment schema change in a single pipeline.
Role-based Access Control
Two role set. Owner, DBA, Developer for workspace. Owner, Developer for project.
Retire instead of destroying. Prevent breaking the system accidentally while keeping it manageable.
Zero-config, dependency free, operational friendly, deploy in 5 seconds.
SQL review and version control
Ease the most stressful and dangerous change process in the application development cycle. Bytebase supports 2 most typical schema change workflow. Team can choose whatever fits the best.
Classic SQL Review workflow where the developer submits a SQL review ticket directly from Bytebase and waits for the assigned DBA or peer developer to review. Bytebase applies the SQL change after review approved.
Version control workflow
Database migration scripts are stored in a git repository. To make schema changes, a developer would create a migration script and submit for review in the corresponding VCS such as GitLab. After the script is approved and merged into the configured branch, Bytebase will automatically kicks off the task to apply the new schema change.
A complete rethink to deliver experience
From the data modeling, to the tech stack, system architecture and then the final user interface, Bytebase is engineered from the ground up to deliver a transforming user experience to the DBAs and Developers.
Modern collaborative dev tool
- Bytebase provides a comprehensive web console requiring zero config and external dependency. Developers and DBAs can focus on their database tasks right away.
- As a professional tool for managing application's most critical asset - transactional database schema, Bytebase thinks deeply to surface the relevant info, design the proper ergonomics. Conducting schema changes is always scary, we want to eliminate the risk of misfire caused by the confusing interface.
- Being one of the infrastructure toolkit, Bytebase will provide hooks to integrate with existing IM, CI/CD, issue tracking, monitoring, login systems.
Curated tech stack
Vue + TypeScript + Tailwind CSS + Golang + SQLite. As a professional tool, Bytebase tries to be pragmatic. And because Bytebase plans to be open sourced, it favors technologies with simplicity and being opinionated to deliver an accessible and cohesive experience to easily learn, use and build the product. We don't want people to waste time figuring out how to deploy or arguing the better coding styles.
Vue + Tailwind CSS
- Vue is a progressive framework and Tailwind CSS is a utility-first CSS framework. Together with the build tool Vite and TypeScript, they offer a significantly improved frontend development experience.
- Golang's static linking + embedding allows Bytebase to deliver a binary with single-line command to launch both the frontend and backend without requiring extra dependency (no docker, docker-compose, kubernetes). And we never need to debate the coding style.
- SQLite is a small, fast, reliable, ACID compliant library. SQLite's performance is suffice for control plane application like Bytebase which doesn't need a fully-fleged RDBMS to scale. SQLite allows Bytebase to be fully self-contained, it also brings the benefit of reduced binary size, much smaller footprint, easy end-to-end testing. We can also use Litestream for disaster recovery.